Strawberry Chia Jam [Sugar Free Recipe]
Sweet, luscious and a little bit tarty.
No, I’m not describing your demeanour on a Saturday night following a few G&Ts on the dance floor.
I’m spotlighting the classic petite rouge fruit, Ms Strawberry.
When strawberries are in season, it’s not uncommon to see overflowing trays on offer at the markets. While this is enough to get me all hot and bothered from strawberry gorging fantasies, I also worry about them going to waste in such big quantities (#SingleGalProblems).
Because strawberries perish within a few days, it’s best to buy and dig in as soon as possible. But, a respectable gal can only consume so many strawberries in one sitting.
So what does one do with a case of excess strawberries?
I have found the answer: Strawberry Chia Jam.
So simple and so much better for you than traditional sugar-loaded jam, chia jam is the the new jam!
If you like the sweet things in life but are trying to avoid processed sugars, this will become your new fave breakie spread. The lovely chia seeds add protein and good fats, whilst giving the jam a thicker consistency.
So, set aside 20mins post your weekly market shop for some sweet sticky fun in the kitchen. It doesn’t get much easier than this.
Recipe: Strawberry Chia Jam
- 2 cups strawberries, destemmed and chopped evenly
- 2 Tbsp rice malt syrup or maple syrup
- 2 Tbsp chia seeds
- Optional: vanilla powder, lemon zest (recommended), aged balsamic vinegar, cinnamon
- Water as needed
- Place chopped strawberries, chia seeds and sweetener of choice into a blender and blend on high, adding 1 tsp of water at a time as required to assist with blending.
- Heat the mixture in a small saucepan over medium heat until the jam begins to bubble.
- Reduce heat and simmer on low for 6-8 minutes as the jam thickens.
- Transfer to a mason or recycled jar once slightly cooled.
Once completely cooled, store in the fridge. This will keep for about a week.
“That’s great Niki, but, how do I use a whole jar of jam in one week!?” you exclaim.
Wow, sassy…but I’m glad you asked.
Use you strawberry chia jam as follows:
Drizzled over greek yoghurt
Stirred through warm creamy coconut porridge with nut butter
Spread over sourdough or rye toast with peanut butter or avo and goat’s cheese
A pancake or crepe accompaniment
Topped over cacao coconut mousse or banana “icecream” (blended frozen banana)
Anywhere else your imagination takes you sweet friend…
Whatever you add it to, I guarantee it will chia you up berry much.